JOIN HERE!Are you interested in local history, archaeology, field walking, excursions to places of historical interest, illustrated lectures, oral history, local history projects?
If the answer is yes why not join our society?
Download our application form
Affiliated to Group 14 of the Council for British Archaeology
Registered Charity No 513032
Founded in 1955 to encourage the study of the archaeology of the Loughborough area, the Society has expanded it’s interests to include aspects of the area’s history. The Society is a registered charity with some of our members working on their own projects.
We have produced a number of publications on a variety of subjects. Details of these publications are available from the Old Rectory Museum or the secretary. The Society has also produced a video about the history of Loughborough, which has sold about 1,500 copies. We have recently produced a CD of an index to the illustrations to the eight volumes which comprise John Nichol’s ‘History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester’ published in the eighteenth century. Another new publication is the history of Loughborough Baxter Gate Hospital.
Our core activity is our winter lecture programme. Lectures take place monthly from October to April and cover a wide range of topics. We meet in the James France Building on the Loughborough University Campus, off Epinal Way. There is adequate parking space directly outside.
The Society is affiliated to Group 14 of the Council for British Archaeology, who organise Reports Meetings and other events of interest across the East Midlands. We have established a field walking group, with the encouragement of the Leicestershire Museums Archaeological Fieldwork Group. We are surveying fields for evidence of archaeological finds. We also run an Oral History Group who are busy recording the reminisces of local people about the Loughborough area. This is an important group as there is such a lot of knowledge that is in people’s heads and is not written down.
The Society maintains a watching brief on development sites for the County Museums Service and some of our members are now acting as Archaeology Wardens for local parishes.
The Society sometimes organizes excursions in the summer to places of historical, archaeological and architectural interest. Members also receive a newsletter in the spring and autumn.
OLD RECTORY MUSEUM
The museum is run by the Society and is housed in the Old Rectory, which is a rare survival of a stone built manor house of the thirteenth century, In 1958 a new rectory was built near to the church; the old rectory and garden were purchased by the corporation to be used for dwellings for elderly people. Between 1958 and 1961 members of the Loughborough & District Archaeological Society (as we were then called) made a detailed examination of the old building and produced photographs and drawings. From these it was possible to piece together the greater part of the medieval plan that lay hidden within later additions. The interest generated locally and nationally resulted in total demolition being avoided. Between 1963 and 1967 the Ministry of Works restored the essential medieval core. The cost was met by the Loughborough Corporation with the help of a Government grant.